The Impact of Research
Updated 9 July 2021
The COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated the impact of science in developing vaccines. The Research Department at the Trust have contributed to vaccine research. We have:
- contributed enormously to the RECOVERY trial which has resulted in treatments that significantly reduce deaths.
- recruited patients into a heart failure trial (PARADIGM) which led to the first new heart failure therapy in twenty years and provided another treatment option for patients.
- recruited to the largest ever prostate cancer treatment trial (STAMPEDE) which has changed the treatment for men with prostate cancer worldwide.
- recruited into a breast cancer study (PERSEPHONE) which will inform the duration of treatment.
- recruited into a renal dialysis study that resulted in a new phosphate binder being introduced.