Dorset County Hospital is incredibly busy
3 January 2023
Our Emergency Department is incredibly busy as we enter the New Year.
Our focus is making sure our patients are safe and that we keep our critical services running.
The public can also help us in the following ways:
- Only ever call 999 in the event of a serious or life-threatening emergency
- Visit 111.nhs.uk or call 111 if you need urgent medical help and aren't sure what to do
- Be ready to collect your family or loved ones from hospital as soon as they are medically well-enough to leave. Hospital is no longer the best place to be once someone is ready to leave
- Do not come to our Emergency Department with minor injuries, as you will be signposted elsewhere. Minor Injuries Units are available to help with urgent care needs. Visit www.dorsethealthcare.nhs.uk/miu for more information on where they are and when to use them
- Use your local pharmacy if you are able to - they can help with a range of minor health issues including colds, skin problems and earaches
Elective procedures and outpatients appointments are currently still going ahead but are under constant review. If you have an appointment with us, please attend as planned unless we contact you directly. We are monitoring this situation very closely.
As always, we remain committed to providing the best possible care for our patients and we thank you for your support and understanding at this challenging time.